Prep Time: 30 Minutes
Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Basmati Rice: ¾ Cup
- Green Cardamoms: 2
- Black Cardamom: 1
- Cloves: 2
- Cinnamon stick: 1 small piece
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Black Peppercorns: 4-5
- Salt: ½ Tablespoon to taste
- Mixed Boiled Vegetables: Chopped into small pieces, 1 cup (Carrots, Green Beans, Cauliflower, potato, green peas)
- Onion: chopped, 1 medium
- Green Chilies: chopped lengthwise, 2
- Ginger Garlic Paste: 1 Teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder: 1/8 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Curd: beaten, ½ Cup
- Oil: 2 Tablespoons
- Salt: ¼ Tablespoon or to taste
- Fried Onion: 1/4 cup
- Fried Cashew: 8-10
- Ghee: 1 Tablespoon
- Saffron Strands: 8-10, soaked in 1 tablespoon Warm Milk
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: Chopped, 2 tablespoons
- Fresh Mint Leaves: Chopped, 1 tablespoon
For the rice:
- Wash Rice for 2-3 times and soak in water for 10 minutes.
- In a pot, boil water with Green Cardamoms, Black Cardamom, Cloves, Cinnamon stick, Bay Leaf, Black Peppercorns.
- Once water is boiled add rice and salt and cook it until rice is almost done (80%). Drain the excess water.
For the Gravy:
- Soak 8-10 saffron strands in one tablespoon warm milk and keep aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoon oil in pan, fry onion till golden brown. Drain the extra oil and keep the fried onions aside.
- Fry cashew keep it aside for assembling at last.
- Add cumin seeds in the left-over oil, when it changes color add, ginger garlic paste, green chili. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the boiled vegetables, salt and turmeric powder. Stir and cover it for 2-3 minutes.
- Add Red Chili Powder, Coriander Powder, Cumin Powder and Garam Masala Powder. Stir and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add curd and whisk for 1 minute and turn off the flame.
- To assemble the biriyani, in a big pot, add ½ tablespoon ghee, 1/3 of the cooked rice, add 1/2 of the vegetable gravy
- Then again add 1/3 of the cooked rice, add half of the fried onion and cashew, half of the chopped coriander leaves and half of the mint leaves and half of the saffron milk.
- On top of it, add the remaining 1/3 of cooked rice, add the remaining half of the fried onion and cashew, half of the chopped coriander leaves and half of the mint leaves and half of the saffron milk.
- Cover the pot with airtight lid or aluminium foil.
- Cook in very low flame for 8-10 minutes.
- Serve hot.