Prep time: 10-12 hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Urad Dal (white lentils): 1/2 Cup
- Rice: 2 Cups
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Salt: ½ Tablespoon or to taste
- Cooked plain rice or soaked poha: 1/4 cup
- Baking soda: 1/2 teaspoon
- Water: As required
- Wash dal and rice 2-3 times. Soak the mix in water with methi seeds. Soak it for 5-6 hours.
- Drain the water, add soaked poha or cooked rice to the mix and grind the mixture to a smooth paste. Not too thick, not too thin paste. Add little water while grinding if required.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, cover it and let it ferment for another 5-6 hours. The batter will increase in volume.
- Add salt and baking soda. Mix well.
- Heat water in an idli vessel and put it on high flame. Grease the idli plates and gently fill the rounds with the batter. Put it inside the idli vessel and let it steam for 20-25 minutes. Do not overcook, otherwise it might become hard and dry. Just keep an eye and remove the idlis once not sticky.
- Take out the idli plates and leave it for 4-5 minutes. Do not remove the idlis immediately.
- Take out the idlis with a spoon or knife and serve hot with chutney.