Prep time: 5 hours
Cook time: 30 mins
For the rice:
- Rice: 1 1/2 Cup
- Water: as required
For the Beans:
- Black beans: 1 cup
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves: 4-5
- Salt: 1/2 tablespoon
- Water: 1/2 Cup
For the Tomato salsa:
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomato: 2 small, finely chopped
- Green Chili: 1 finely chopped
- Salt: 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
For the Avocado Paste:
- Avocado: 1, peeled and de-seeded
- Milk: 2 Tablespoon
- Vinegar: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: 1 Tablespoon
- Garlic: 2-3 cloves
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green Chili: 1
For the dressing:
- Fresh Coriander: 1 Tablespoon
- Lettuce or Purple cabbage: 3-4 leaves (Optional)
- Sweet Corn kernels: 2 Tablespoon
- Grated cheddar cheese: 1/4 cup
- Any Crunchy snacks (like tortilla chips): 1/4 Tablespoon
- For the rice: Boil rice in water until cooked, drain and keep aside.
- For the Beans: Soak 1 cup of black beans for minimum 4-5 hours. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pressure cooker or pan. Add cumin seeds and when it changes color, add chopped garlic. Saute for 1 minutes. Add soaked and drained black beans, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 cup of water. Cook until beans are done. Keep aside.
- For the Avocado Paste: Take out the avocado pulp using a spoon. Add milk, vinegar, lemon juice, green chili and garlic. Blend or grind to a smooth paste. Add salt, cumin powder and keep aside.
- For the Tomato salsa: Finely chop onion, tomato and green chili. Mash them using spoon or hand. Add salt and mix well.
- In a bowl, keep 1 lettuce and 1 purple cabbage leaf layer.
- Add some rice on top of the leaf.
- Add some black beans in one side.
- Add some of the avocado paste next to beans.
- Add tomato salsa next to the avocado paste.
- Add some of sweet corn kernels next to the avocado paste
- Add some of grated cheddar cheese next to the corn.
- Add any crunchy snacks to complete the side circle.
- Sprinkle some coriander leaves, salt and black pepper powder on the mixed bowl.
- Serve the Mexican Mixed Rice Bowl.
- You fry fry the rice with 1 tablespoon oil and 1 teaspoon cumin seeds.