Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10-12 minutes
- Poppy seeds: 1/4 Cup
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Ginger: 1/2 teaspoon, crushed or chopped
- Green chili: 2
- Potato: 3 medium sized
- Water: As required
- Mustard Oil / any cooking oil: 1/2 Tablespoon
- Bengali Panchforon (mix of Fenugreek seeds, Fennel seeds, Mustard seeds, Kalonji, Cumin seeds): 1 teaspoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or as required
- Sugar: 1/4 Teaspoon or as required
- Turmeric Powder: 1/4 Teaspoon (optional)
- Soak Poppy seeds and cumin seeds in water for 5 minutes. Drain the water and grind them with ginger and chili to a smooth paste. Use little water while grinding, if required.
- Wash, peel and cut the potatoes in small cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add Bengali Panchforon (mix of Fenugreek seeds, Fennel seeds, Mustard seeds, Kalonji, Cumin seeds). Sauté for 20-30 seconds.
- Add chopped potatoes, salt, turmeric powder. Stir well. Sprinkle few drops of water and cover it till potatoes are almost cooked (85%).
- Add the poppy seeds paste and 1/2 cup of water.
- Mix well and cook for 3-4 minutes or till potatoes are completely done.