Prep time: 30-45 minutes
Cook time: 30 mins
Serves: 6 Barota
For the Dough
- Maida (Plain Flour): 1 Cup
- Wheat flour (aata): 1 cup
- Water: 2/3 Cup or as required to knead the dough
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Sugar: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Plain Curd (Yogurt): 2 Tablespoon
- Oil: As required to roast the Barotas
- Melted Ghee (clarified butter): as required
- Knead the dough ingredients to a smooth dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep it aside for 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough into six equal portions and roll into balls.
- Take one ball and flatten it as thin & transparent as possible in circular shape. Apply little melted ghee all over the barota. Now either fold it like saree pleats (one small fold in front and next fold backwards, again front fold and so on.) or cut the rolled barota into thin strips and assemble it one over the other. Roll the folded pleat/strip into ball again.
- Roll the folded ball into 5-6-inch diameter circle.
- Heat a Tawa and put the Barota. The barota may shrink. So, spread it using your hands on the tawa carefully.
- Roast both sides of the barota using oil and in medium flame.
- Remove the parotta to the rolling board and press the sides of the barota forcefully. It helps to bring the layers out and make it soft.
- Serve hot.