Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Rice: ½ Cup
- Moong Dal: ½ Cup
- Salt: 1 ½ Teaspoon or to taste
- Water: 3 Cup
- Ghee or Oil: 2 Tablespoon
- Cumin Seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Ginger, green chili and garlic: Crushed or paste, 1 Teaspoon
- Dried Red Chili: 1, broken into 2 pieces
- Asafetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi): ½ Teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: ¼ Teaspoon or as required
- Onion: 1 medium sized, chopped
- Tomato: 1 Medium sized, chopped
- Mix rice and dal in a bowl and wash it 2-3 times. Soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Add this mix, ½ Tablespoon of oil, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cup water in a pressure cooker and cook it in medium flame till 3-4 whistles.
- For the tadka, heat ghee in a pan, add cumin seeds and when it changes color, add dried red chili, wait for 30 seconds and add onion and ginger-garlic-chili paste. Sauté till onions are semi-transparent. Add tomatoes, red chili powder and cook till tomatoes are done.
- Open the cooker lid. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
- Add the tadka to the khichdi cooker. Mix well and cover it again. Turn on the heat and cook it in high flame till 1 whistle.
- Turf off the heat.
- You may add vegetables while cooking rice-dal as well.