Prep Time: 7-8 minutes
Cook Time: 15-18 minutes
For the Coconut Paste:
- Grated Coconut: 1/4 cup
- Chana Dal: 1 tablespoon
- Poppy seed: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts: 4-5
- Milk: 1/4 cup
For the Kurma:
- Mixed Vegetables: 1 cup, chopped in small pieces (1 Potato, 1 carrot, 5-6 Beans, 2-3 chunks of cauliflower, handful of Peas)
- Salt: 1/2 Tablespoon or to taste
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin seed: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Fennel seeds: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Bay Leaf: 1
- Clove: 2
- Cardamom: 1
- Cinnamon Stick: 1 small, 1/2 inch
- Peppercorns: 1 teaspoon
- Ginger, garlic, green chili paste or crushed: 1 Tablespoon
- Onion: 1 small, chopped
- Tomato: 1 small, chopped
- Lemon juice: a few drops
- Fresh Coriander leaves: chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Water: As required
- Boil the vegetables to almost cooked (90%) and keep aside.
- Dry roast coconut, chana dal, poppy seeds, cashews and grind to a smooth paste using milk. Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds, fennel seeds, bay leaf, cloves, cardamom, cinnamon stick and peppercorns. Roast for 1 minute.
- Add onion and fry till onions are golden brown.
- Add ginger, garlic, chili paste and tomatoes. Fry till tomatoes are cooked.
- Add boiled vegetables, salt and coconut paste. Mix well. Add water if required. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or till vegetables are done.
- Turn off the heat, add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- You may use 1/2 cup of ready made coconut milk instead of making the coconut paste from scratch.