Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Puttu Flour: 1 Cup
- Grated or Powdered Coconut: ½ Cup
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Warm Water: As required
- Puttu rice maker
- Take the Puttu flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon hot water and mix well using your hand. Again, add little water and mix. Follow this until flour is slightly wet. It should not be like a paste or dough. You can see the flour all separated but moist with hot water. Mix very well. There should be no lumps. This process takes 8-10 minutes. For the exact understanding, take a handful of flour and press it gently between your fist, it should hold its shape; but if you press the flour little hard with your thumb a little, it should crumble.
- Add half of the grated coconut and mix again for 2-3 minutes.
- Boil water in the Bottom part of the Puttu maker.
- Place the disc on the bottom of the steamer cylinder and add 1 tablespoon of the grated coconut to seal the holes.
- Add the flour mix till it reaches the top and again add 1 tablespoon of the grated coconut.
- Cover with lid and place it on boiling water steamer. Steam for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- Remove the cylinder and using a wooden stick, gently take out the steamed cylinder Puttu Rice.
- Repeat to continue the other Puttu with the remaining flour mix.
- Serve hot with spicy curry.
- If you do not have Puttu maker, you may steam them on Idly maker as well.