Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Puttu Flour: 1 Cup
- Grated or Powdered Coconut: 1/2 Cup
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Warm Water: As required
- Puttu rice maker
- Take the Puttu flour and salt in a bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon hot water and mix well using your hand. Knead for sometime. Again, add little water, mix and knead. Follow this until flour is slightly wet. It should not be like a paste or dough. You can see the flour all separated but moist with hot water. You have to mix it very well and there should be no lumps. This process takes 8-10 minutes. For the exact understanding, take a handful of flour and press it gently between your fist, it should hold its shape; but if you press the flour little hard with your thumb a little, it should crumble.
- Add half of the grated coconut and mix again for 2-3 minutes.
- Boil water in the Bottom part of the Puttu maker.
- Place the disc on the bottom of the steamer cylinder and add 1 tablespoon of the grated coconut to seal the holes.
- Add the flour mix till it reaches the top and again add 1 tablespoon of the grated coconut.
- Cover with lid and place it on boiling water steamer. Steam for 10 minutes in medium flame.
- Remove the cylinder and using a wooden stick, gently take out the steamed cylinder Puttu Rice.
- Repeat to continue the other Puttu with the remaining flour mix.
- Serve hot with spicy curry.