Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 60 Minutes
- Eggplant: 1 large
- Potato: 1, large
- Tomato: 1 medium Sized
- Oil: 2 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium Sized
- Ginger: ½ Teaspoon, chopped, crushed or paste
- Garlic cloves: 4-5
- Green Chili: 1
- Salt: ¾ Teaspoon
- Red chili Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Garam masala Powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Aamchur Powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: 1 Teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: 1 Tablespoon, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 425-degree F or 220-degree C.
- Wash the eggplant (Baingan), cut a + sign from the top of the baingan to ¾ depth of the baingan. It should not break into 4 pieces. Just opening the top. Add 2-3 garlic cloves into the cut of the baingan.
- Brush the outer layer of the baingan with oil.
- Wrap the baingan with Aluminum foil paper. Prick 4-5 places with fork.
- Wash and Peel the potato. Brush with Oil. Wrap the potato with Aluminum foil paper. Prick 4-5 places with fork.
- Wash the tomato. Brush with Oil. Wrap the tomato with Aluminum foil paper. Prick 4-5 places with fork.
- In baking tray, add a baking sheet and place the wrapped baingan and potato.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip the sides. Bake for 15 minutes. Add the wrapped tomato on the baking tray and bake for another 15 minutes. So, totally 45 minutes we have bake it.
- Unwrap all 3 and let it cool.
- Peel the Baingan.
- In a bowl, mash the baingan, potato and tomato using a potato masher or spoon. Mash it very well. You may chop them into small pieces as well.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. When it changes, color add onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes or till onions are light brown.
- Add green chili, red chili powder, garam masala powder, aamchur powder and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the mashed began, potato, tomato. Mix well. Cook for 6-7 minutes in medium heat.
- Turn off the heat and add lemon juice and coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
After brushing with oil, there many ways to cook the eggplant, potato and tomato.
- You may roast them on gas in medium flame for 30-35 minutes flipping all sides.
- You may cut them into big pieces and pressure cooker them with 1/8 cup of water in medium heat until 3 whistles.
- To give a smoky flavor, after the baingan Bharta is ready, transfer to a bowl. Add a small container and put a small piece of fresh burnt wood charcoal coal. Add 1 tablespoon ghee on the hot charcoal and cover the bowl with an airtight lid for 10-15 minutes. After 15 minutes, baingan Bharta will absorb the smoky flavor. Take out the small container. Serve immediately.