Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cook Time: 35 Minutes
- Idly Batter: 1 ½ cups
- Potato: 3, medium sized
- Oil: 1 tablespoon or as required to grease the idly molds
- Salt: ½ Teaspoon or to taste
- Garam masala powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Cumin Powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Aamchur Powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Red chili powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Boil the potatoes, peel and mash them.
- Add salt, garam masala, cumin powder, aamchur powder, red chili powder. Mix well.
- Divide the potato masala into the same number of the idly molds that you are going to prepare. Roll each portion into ball and flatten them using your palm. The size of the each flatten potato masala should be little lesser than the idly mold’s size.
- Grease the idly molds and fill half of each idly molds.
- Add flatten potato masala on top of each mold.
- Cover the masala with idly batter and fill the idly mold.
- Steam for 20 minutes or till idlis are done.
- Take out the idly plates and leave it for 4-5 minutes. Do not remove the idlis immediately.
- Take out the idlis with a spoon or knife and serve hot with chutney.
- Please check http://wp.me/p8yNxk-bx to make idly batter at home.
- Do not overcook idlis, otherwise it might become hard and dry. Just keep an eye and remove the idlis once not sticky.
- You may fry the potato masala in 1 tablespoon oil or fry with ginger, garlic, onion, tomato.