- Toor dal: 1 Cup
- Water: 3 Cup
- Salt 1 1/2 teaspoon or to taste
- Drumstick – 10-12, cut into pieces lengthwise
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Onion: 1 small, chopped
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Dried Red chili: 1
- Garlic cloves: 3-4, chopped
- Ginger: 1 inch piece, chopped
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds: ¼ Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (Haldi): 1/2 Teaspoon
- Sambar powder: 2 Tablespoon
- Tamarind paste: 1 Tablespoon
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Wash the dal 2-3 times and soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Pressure cook the dal with 2 cup of water, 1 teaspoon salt and turmeric powder on high flame for 3 whistles.
- After the steam goes, open the cooker. Using a wooden hand blender mix the dal. Keep the cooked dal aside.
- In a pot, heat 1 tablespoon oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves, red dried chili, garlic cloves, ginger, onion and sauté till onions are light brown.
- Add tomato and sambar powder. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the drumstick pieces and 1 cup of water.
- Cover and cook for 6-7 minutes.
- Add the cooked dal and tamarind paste. Mix well. Adjust the consistency of the dal using water.
- Let it boil for 7-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add coriander leaves and serve.