Prep time: 10-12 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 dosas
For the dosa:
- Urad Dal (white lentils): 1/2 Cup
- Rice: 2 Cups
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Salt: ½ Tablespoon or to taste
- Cooked plain rice or soaked poha: 1/4 cup
- Water: As required
For the Masala:
- Potato: 3, boiled. peeled and cut into small cubes
- Onion: 1 medium
- Tomato: 1 medium
- Bell pepper or capsicum: ½ of a medium
- Grated carrots: ¼ cup
- Cabbage: finely chopped, ¼ cup
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Green chili: 1. Finely chopped
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Red chili powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Oil: 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon
For the dosa batter:
- Wash dal and rice 2-3 times. Soak the mix in water with methi seeds. Soak it for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water, add soaked poha or cooked rice to the mix and grind the mixture to a smooth paste. Not too thick, not too thin paste. Add little water while grinding if required.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, cover it and let it ferment for another 5-6 hours or overnight. The batter will increase in volume.
For the masala:
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds and when it changes color, add chopped onions. Sauté till transparent.
- Add bell pepper, cabbage, carrots, tomato, green chilli, ginger garlic paste and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add the potato cubes, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add coriander leaves.
For the masala dosa:
- Add salt in the dosa batter. Adjust water to make a thin dropping consistency dosa batter. Mix well.
- Heat a tawa in high flame, pour 1 ladle full of batter and spread evenly to thinnest circle possible. Drizzle little oil over it and cook in medium flame until its golden. No need to flip.
- Add 2 tablespoon of the potato masala in one side of the dosa and roll in.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.