Prep time: 10-12 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 8 uttapams
For the batter:
- Urad Dal (white lentils): 1/2 Cup
- Rice: 2 Cups
- Methi (Fenugreek) seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Salt: 2 Teaspoon or to taste
- Cooked plain rice or soaked poha: 1/4 cup
- Water: As required
For the Masala:
- Onion: 1 medium
- Tomato: 1 medium
- Bell pepper or capsicum: ½ of a medium
- Grated carrots: ¼ cup
- Cabbage: finely chopped, ¼ cup
- Green Beans: 6-7, finely chopped
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Ginger-garlic paste: 1 teaspoon
- Green chili: 1. Finely chopped
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Red chili powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Garam masala powder: ½ teaspoon
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon
For the batter:
- Wash dal and rice 2-3 times. Soak the mix in water with methi seeds. Soak it for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain the water, add soaked poha or cooked rice to the mix and grind the mixture to a smooth paste. Not too thick, not too thin paste. Add little water while grinding if required.
- Transfer the batter to a bowl, cover it and let it ferment for another 5-6 hours or overnight. The batter will increase in volume.
For the masala:
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and when it spluters, add chopped onions. Sauté till transparent.
- Add tomato, green chili, ginger garlic paste and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add bell pepper, cabbage, carrots, green beans, salt, red chili powder, garam masala powder. Sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add coriander leaves.
For the Uttapam:
- Add salt in the uttapam batter. Adjust water to make a semi-thick dropping consistency batter. Mix well.
- Heat a tawa in high flame, pour 1 ladle full of batter and spread evenly to a 4-inch diameter circle. Drizzle little oil over it. Spread 1 tablespoon of the vegetable mix on top of the uttapam evenly and press with a spatula, so it gets stick on the surface. Cover the pan and cook in medium heat. Flip it carefully after 1 minute and drizzle some oil. Roast both sides until light brown.
- Serve hot with Chutney.
- You may add the cooked vegetable mix in the batter, whisk it well and then prepare the uttapams.
- You may add 1/4 cup curd to the batter. if it is not fermented well.