Prep Time: 2 Hours
Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Plain Flour (maida): 2 Cups
- Warm Water: 1 Cup or as required
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Sugar: 2 teaspoons
- Active dry yeast: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- In a bowl, add the active yeast, salt and sugar. Add ¼ cup of warm water and mix well. Cover it for 5 minutes.
- Take the flour, add the yeast water and mix well.
- Using warm water knead a tight dough.
- Add oil and knead again.
- Cover the dough with a kitchen napkin. Keep it aside for 1-2 hours.
- Remove the cover. You will see the dough has raised in size.
- Knead the dough again and divide into 5 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Roll each ball into 6-inch diameter circle.
- Brush water in one side of the circle.
- Heat Tawa in high flame.
- Place the water brushed side of the circle, on the tawa
- Wait for 1 ½ minutes and flip the tawa with the naan stick on it, over the gas.
- In medium flame cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a spatula or tong take the naan out of the tawa.
- Serve hot, or, keep them in a casserole or wrap them up in a kitchen towel or napkin.
- As I am using induction cooktop, it does not have flame. So, I do not flip the tawa over the cooktop. I just flip the naan on tawa and cook it on tawa itself.
- While serving, you may brush the naan with butter.
- Instead of yeast, you may use 1/2 cup of plain curd/yogurt.