Prep Time: 13 hours
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 30 medium size jalebis
For the jalebi base:
- Plain flour: ¾ cup
- Rice flour: ¼ cup
- Curd / Yogurt: ¼ cup
- Oil: 1 tablespoon
- Yellow / orange food color: 1 pinch
- Water: if required
For the syrup:
- Water: 2 cups
- Sugar: 1 ½ cups
- Saffron (kesar): a few strands
- Oil / ghee for deep frying
- In a bowl, whisk curd and oil.
- Add food color and mix again.
- Add rice four and plain flour. Mix well.
- Using water make a thick paste, like toothpaste.
- Cover the bowl and let it ferment in room temperature for 12 hours or overnight.
- In a heavy pan, add 2 cups of water and 1 ½ cups of sugar. Let it simmer and make one string consistency syrup. Turn off the heat and add saffron strands.
- Take the fermented paste and whisk again.
- Put the paste in the jalebi maker.
- Heat ghee / oil in a pan.
- Using the jalebi maker, pour round spirals in the oil. To make the spirals, make 3 increasing circles, then draw a horizontal line across the circles’ diameter.
- Flip the circles and fry until golden and crispy.
- Drain the excess oil and put them in the sugar syrup.
- Soak for only 20-25 seconds and take them out.
- Serve hot or let it cool then serve.
- You may have this with Rabdi.