For the dough:
- Corn Flour (Makai ka aata): 1 cup
- Salt: ½ Teaspoon
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Water: As required
For the Tortillas:
- Oil to Roast
For the Beans:
- Black beans: 1 cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Water: 1/2 Cup
- Oil: 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves: 7-8, chopped
- Black pepper powder: ½ teaspoon
- Tomato sauce: 4 tablespoons
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small, finely chopped
- Green chili: 1 small, finely chopped
- Salt: ¼ Teaspoon
- Black Pepper powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Lemon Juice: 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander leaves: chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Mint leaves: chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Grated Cheddar / Mozzarella Cheese: 2 tablespoons
For the Corn Tortillas:
- Using the dough ingredients, knead a very soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Put the ball in between two pieces of plastic wrap or parchment paper and flatten it into 4-6-inch diameter circle using a rolling pin.
- Heat Tawa and place the roti dough on the tawa
- Flip the roti after 30 seconds
- Cook both sides until both sides are evenly cooked with golden brown spots (not black).
- Keep them on a kitchen towel or napkin and let them cool completely in room temperature.
- You may make the tortilla (roti) using the tortilla maker (roti maker).
For the Taco Shells:
There are many ways to make taco shells from the tortillas:
- Heat oil in pan for deep frying. Put 1 tortilla in the oil and cook it for 20-30 seconds in medium flame. Flip it and using a tong fold this tortilla to half. Hold the folded tortilla using tong and fry the other side until golden brown and crispy. Triangular taco shell is ready.
- Or, Preheat the Oven to 350-degree F or 180-degree C. Brush both sides of all 6 tortillas with butter or oil. Then place each tortilla over two bars of the oven rack dropping downside. Bake for 10 minutes.
- You may place the tortillas on the back of muffin tray, between 4 muffin molds and brush it with oil. Bake for 15 minutes in 350 F.
- You may deep fry the round tortilla, take out. Immediately place a thick rolling pin in between the fried tortilla and fold it. Place a heavy pan on top of the folded tortilla.
For the Black Beans’ Filling:
- Soak the black beans in 7-8 cups of water for minimum 4-5 hours or overnight. Drain the excess water.
- Heat Oil in a pressure cooker.
- Saute garlic pieces.
- Add black beans, salt, black pepper powder and mix well.
- Add ½ cup water and let it boil.
- Cover the cooker and wait for 3 whistles or until beans are cooked.
For the toppings:
- In a bowl, add chopped onion, tomato, green chili, salt, black pepper powder, lemon juice, coriander leaves, mint leaves and cheese. Mix well.
- Take a taco shell, add ½ tablespoon tomato sauce.
- Fill 2 tablespoon of the black beans on each Taco shell.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the toppings mix.
- Serve immediately.
- You may buy the ready Taco Shells from market. Just prepare the filling and enjoy 😉