- Toor dal: 1 Cup
- Water: 3 Cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Bhindi (Ladies finger): 14-15, trimmed and cut into small pieces
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Onion: 1 small, chopped
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Dried Red chili: 1
- Garlic cloves: 3-4
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds: ¼ Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder (Haldi): ¼ Teaspoon
- Sambar powder: 2 Tablespoon
- Tamarind paste: 1 Tablespoon
- Pressure cook the dal with water, salt, turmeric powder, half of the chopped tomato, half of the chopped onion, 2-3 cloves, ½ Tablespoon sambhar powder on high flame for 3 whistles.
- After the steam goes, open the cooker.
- In a big pot, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves, red dried chili, cloves, onion and sauté till onions are light brown.
- Add tomato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped bhindi / okra. Mix well and cover till bhindis are almost cooked.
- Add sambar powder and tamarind paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked dal. Mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Let it boil.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.
- You may cut the bhindi / okra into big pieces and cook with dal in pressure cooker.