Prep Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Chana dal: 1 cup
- Urad dal: 1 tablespoon
- Water: as required
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon, finely chopped or crushed
- Green chili: 1, finely chopped or crushed
- Curry leaves: 5-6, chopped
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon, chopped
- Saunf (fennel seeds): ½ teaspoon
- Oil: for deep fry
- Wash chana dal and urad dal 2-3 times and soak in water for 2 hours.
- Drain the water and grind it coarsely. Use little water, if required while grinding. We need a very thick paste.
- Transfer the paste to a bowl.
- Add salt, ginger, green chili, curry leaves, coriander leaves, saunf and mix well. Make a thick paste, mostly like a soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll them into balls and flatten them to small circles.
- Deep fry in hot oil until both sides are golden brown and crispy.
- Take out, drain the excess oil and put on kitchen napkin.
- Serve hot.
- While grinding the dal, if it becomes watery, you may place the grinded dal in a muslin cloth and squeeze out the extra water.