1. Baked sweet potato: Peel and cut 1 large sweet potato into small pieces (1 inch cubes). Add 1 tablespoon olive oil /butter, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder, ½ teaspoon white sesame seeds and ½ teaspoon dried oregano. Toss well. Bake for 50 minutes in 350 F / 180 C. Serve.
2. Sweet Potato Fries: Peel and cut 1 large sweet potato into 4-6 vertical pieces. Then cut each piece horizontally into ¼ inch pieces. Deep fry in oil until golden brown and crispy. Take them out, drain the oil and sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder and ¼ teaspoon red chili powder. Toss well. Serve.
3. Sweet Potato Halwa / Pudding: Cut 1 large sweet potato into 4-5 portions. Boil it in water until cooked. Peel and mash it. Heat 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) and roast the mashed potato until golden brown. Add 1 tablespoon milk, ¼ teaspoon cardamom powder and cook for another 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and garnish with roasted cashew, roasted almonds, raisins and pistachios. Serve.
5. Sweet Potato Soup: Heat 1 teaspoon oil, add 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped garlic cloves and saute for 1 minutes. Add ½ of a medium sized onion, finely chopped, saute until transparent. Wash 1 large sweet potato, peel and cut into very small pieces. Add this pieces in the oil. Add ½ teaspoon salt. Mix well and cover the pan. Cook in medium flame until potatoes are almost (90%) done. Add 1 cup of water, 1 tablespoon milk cream, ½ teaspoon amchur powder, ½ teaspoon cumin powder and ¼ teaspoon black pepper powder. Mix well. Let the water boil for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat. Blend this to smooth puree and serve.
- If you are using this recipes during upvas / fasting, use rock salt instead of plain salt and do not use turmeric powder.