Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
- Karela (Bitter Gourd): 4 medium sized
- Mustard Oil: ½ tablespoon
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Tamarind paste: 1 tablespoon
Jaggery (gud): 1 tablespoon
- Trim the karelas and cut into thin circular pieces.
- Wash them in water and drain the water.
- Add salt and turmeric powder and leave this in a bowl for 15-20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. When it changes color, add Karela pieces with salt and turmeric. Stir and cover for 6-7 minutes in medium heat. Karelas should be almost (90%) cooked.
- Add tamarind paste, jaggery, coriander powder, garam masala powder and red chili powder and cook for 7-8 minutes in low heat. Stir occasionally.