Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- Whole black Urad Dal (whole black lentils): 1 cup
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Oil or Ghee: 2 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized, chopped
- Tomato: 2 medium sized, chopped
- Ginger: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Green Chili: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Clove (laung spice): 1
- Cardamom (Elaichi): 1
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Garam masala: 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Red Dried Chili: 1 or 2
- Coriander leaves: finely chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Water: 4 ½ cup or as required
- Fresh milk cream / curd: ¼ cup
- Butter: ½ tablespoon
- Wash the black urad dal 2-3 times. Soak it in water for 2 hours.
- Pressure cooker the dals with water, turmeric, salt and ½ tablespoon of oil. 3 whistles are good in high flame.
- Heat ½ tablespoons of oil or ghee in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds and when they change color add dried red chili, curry leaves, clove and cardamom. Stir.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until onions are golden brown. Add Tomatoes, green chili, red chili powder, garam masala powder. Sauté until tomatoes are cooked.
- Turn off the heat. Let it cool for 5 minutes. Grind it using little water to smooth paste.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in the same pan. Add cumin seeds and hing. after 30 seconds, add the grinded paste.
- Add dal on top of the paste.
- Add milk cream, stir and cover the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and place a dollop butter on top. Serve hot.
- Instead of black urad dal, you may use black masoor dal.