Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 20 mins
- Whole black Urad Dal (whole black lentils): 1 cup
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Oil or Ghee: 2 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized, chopped
- Tomato: 2 medium sized, chopped
- Ginger: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Garlic: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Green Chili: finely chopped, 1 teaspoon
- Bay Leaf (Tej patta): 1
- Clove (laung spice): 1
- Turmeric powder: 1 teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Garam masala: 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Red Dried Chili: 1 or 2
- Coriander leaves: finely chopped, 1 tablespoon
- Water: 4 ½ cup or as required
- Fresh milk cream / curd: ¼ cup
- Butter: ½ tablespoon
- Wash the urad dal 2-3 times. Soak it in water for 2 hours.
- Pressure cooker the dals with water, turmeric, salt and ½ tablespoon of oil. 3 whistles are good in high flame.
- To make the tadka, heat 1 and ½ tablespoons of oil or ghee in a frying pan. Add cumin seeds and when they change color add dried red chili, curry leaves, bay leaf, clove and asafetida. Stir.
- Add onion, garlic and ginger. Sauté until onions are golden brown. Add Tomatoes, green chili, red chili powder, garam masala powder. Sauté until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add dal on top of the tadka. Mix and heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add milk cream, stir and cover the pan for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn of the heat.
- While serving garnish with coriander leaves and butter on top.