Prep Time: 1 week
Cook Time: 5 Minutes
- Raw green mango: 2 large
- Salt: 3 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder(haldi): 2 teaspoons
- Mustard Oil: 1/4 cup
- Hing (Asafoetida): 1 pinch
- Mustard seeds: 1/2 teaspoon
- Methi seeds (Fenugreek seeds): 1/4 teaspoon
- Kalonji (black seeds / kala jeera): 1/4 Teaspoon
- Saunf (Fennel seeds): 1/4 Teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 1 tablespoon
- Mustard (Sarson) powder: 1/2 cup
- Wash the mangoes and pat dry them.
- Cut into 2 halves and take out the seed.
- Cut into small pieces. Do not peel them.
- In a glass bowl, add the mango pieces, salt and turmeric powder. Toss well and leave it in Sun to dry for 12 hours or 1 day. You may keep in room temperature as well. Do not cover it air tight. You may cover it with a sieve or cotton cloth.
- Salt will leave water, so the mix will become watery.
- Drain the excess water and spread the mango pieces on a sieve or cotton cloth for 4-5 hours. let the excess water dry. Do not over dry them.
- Once it is dried, take out the pieces in a bowl. Add red chili powder, mustard powder, mustard seeds, kalonji, saunf and methi seeds. Mix well.
- Heat mustard oil in a small pan. Let it smoky hot.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add Hing in the oil and let the oil come to room temperature for 1 hour. Now add this oil to the bowl of mango pieces.
- Mix well.
- Transfer to a glass jar. Press the mango pieces, so the oil will come on the top.
- Keep the jar under Sun for another 1 week.
- Use it for 2-3 months.
- You may add more oil, if you like. I usually prefer the dry pickle.
- You may add more red chili powder and mustard powder to increase the masala in the pickle.
- Checkout all the recipes using Mango as main ingredient in this link: https://snehdeepskitchen.com/category/recipes-by-ingredients/mango/