Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Toor dal: 1 Cup
- Water: 3 Cup
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric powder (Haldi): ¼ Teaspoon
- Carrot: 2 medium, peeled and cut into small pieces
- Tomato – 2, chopped
- Onion: 1 small, chopped
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Dried Red chili: 1
- Garlic cloves: 2, chopped
- Ginger: ¼-inch piece, chopped
- Green chili: 1, chopped
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds: ¼ Teaspoon
- Sambar powder: 2 Tablespoon
- Tamarind paste: 1 Tablespoon
- Pressure cook the dal with water, 1 teaspoon salt and turmeric powder on high flame for 3 whistles.
- After the steam goes, open the cooker. Mash the dal using a masher or spoon. Keep aside.
- In a big pot, heat oil and add mustard seeds. When it splutters, add curry leaves, red dried chili, chopped ginger, garlic and onion and sauté till onions are light brown.
- Add tomato and green chili and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the chopped Carrot. Mix well and cover till Carrots are almost cooked.
- Add sambar powder and tamarind paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the cooked dal. Mix well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Let it boil for 5-6 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.
- You may cut the Carrot into big pieces and cook with dal in pressure cooker.