Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 12 Rotis
- Cornmeal flour (Makki ka aata) 2 cups
- Whole Wheat Flour (Aata): ½ cup
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon or to taste
- Warm Water: As required to knead the dough
- Butter or ghee for greasing: As required
- Combine cornmeal flour, wheat flour and salt.
- Using warm water knead a soft and smooth dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 equal portions and roll into balls.
- Take 2 thick plastic sheets or parchment sheets of 6-7 inch square shape. Place 1 plastic sheet on the rolling board, sprinkle some cornmeal or wheat flour, add 1 dough ball, sprinkle some flour again, place the other plastic sheet on top of it and gently roll the ball into a 4-5 inch diameter circle.
- Alternatively, you may flatten the circles using your hand, between dampened palms.
- Heat a tawa and gently place the roti on it. Before placing the roti on tawa, tawa should be really hot, like smoking hot. As soon as you place the roti, medium the heat. Cook for 1 minute and flip it gently. Spread some ghee or butter. Flip again after 1 minute and spread some ghee or butter on the other side. Roast till both sides are done with dark golden spots.
- Serve hot with sarson ka saag or mustard greens.