Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Gram flour (besan): 1 Cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Red chili Powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Citric Acid or Lemon juice: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: ½ tablespoon and as required to deep fry
- Hole dotted spatula or spoon with multiple small holes
- Filter gram flour and keep it in a bowl.
- Add salt, hing, turmeric powder, red chili powder, oil and citric acid in the flour. Using a spoon mix it well. Add little water at a time and make a smooth dropping consistency paste. Cover the bowl for 30 minutes allowing it to ferment.
- Heat oil for deep fry.
- Apply some oil in the hole dotted spatula.
- Take another small tablespoon and fill it with the prepared batter.
- Now place the hole dotted spatula over the hot oil.
- Using the other spoon, pour little batter over the hole dotted spatula and press it gently.
- The batter will fall through the holes into the hot oil.
- Fry the balls till light golden brown and drain it on a paper towel.
- Likewise repeat the steps until the boondi batter is over.