Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
- Okra / Ladyfinger/ Bhindi: 200 grams
- Coconut Milk: 1/2 cup
- Water: 1/4 cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Oil: 2 Teaspoon
- Cumin seeds: 1/2 Teaspoon
- Onion: 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 small, finely chopped
- Ginger: ½ teaspoon, finely chopped
- Green chili: ½ teaspoon, finely chopped
- Turmeric powder: 1/2 teaspoon
- Cumin powder: ½ teaspoon
- Coriander Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Red chili powder: 1/4 teaspoon
- Clean the bhindis first using a wet napkin and then a dry napkin. Trim the edges of each bhindi and cut each bhindi into 4 vertical pieces and then into 1-inch long pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan, add cumin seeds. When it changes color, add onion and ginger. Saute for 2-3 minutes or till onions are light brown. Add bhindi pieces, green chili, salt and turmeric. Stir and cover for 4-5 minutes in medium heat. Bhindis should be almost (80%) cooked.
- Add coriander powder, cumin powder and red chili powder and roast for another 2 minutes in medium heat.
- Add coconut milk and water. Mix well. Stir continuously until gravy starts to boil. Once it starts to boil, lower the heat and cook for 3 minutes in low heat.
- Turn off the heat and serve hot.