Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
Serves: 15 Momos
For the dough
- All-purpose flour / Plain flour (maida): 1 ½ cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 1 Teaspoon
- Water: as required
For the Veg Stuffing
- Carrot: 1 cup, grated
- Cabbage: 1 cup, finely chopped
- Bell pepper: ½ cup, finely chopped
- Green beans: ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium size, finely chopped
- Garlic: 1 teaspoon, finely chopped
- Oil: ½ tablespoon
- Salt: 1 ½ teaspoon
- Soy Sauce: 2 Teaspoon
- Black Pepper powder: ½ teaspoon
- Take the dough ingredients: flour, salt and oil in a bowl and mix well. Using water knead a soft dough. Cover it with a wet cloth and keep aside for minimum 1 hour.
- Heat oil n a pan for the stuffing.
- Saute garlic and onion for 1 minute. Then add the vegetables: carrot, cabbage, bell pepper and green beans. Add salt and mix well. Saute the vegetables for 6-7 minutes. Do not cover the pan.
- Add soy sauce and black pepper powder and saute for 2-3 minutes or till the mixture is dry.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool. Now divide the stuffing into 15 equal portions.
- Take the dough and divide into 15 equal portions. Roll each portion into ball.
- Roll each ball into 3-inch diameter circle. Use oil if required while rolling. Make sure the edges are thinner than the center part. You may use your finger to make the edges thinner.
- Add one portion of the stuffing in the middle of the rolled dough. Apply little water over the edges. Lift one edge and start pleating. At the end join the pleats in the center and seal the edges. There are many ways you can seal the edges. Please check the below mentioned cook’s note for the sealing ideas.
- While preparing the momo shapes, always cover them with a wet cloth or napkin or else it will become dry and hard.
- Now steam them in a greased steamer for 10 minutes or till momo are shiny. You may use idly steamer as well.
- Take them put and serve hot with momo sauce or chili sauce or any soup.
- You may make any shapes while sealing the edges of momos:
- Lift one edge and start pleating. At the end join the pleats in the center
- Fold it into half and fold the edge inside.
- Press and lift two opposite horizontal edges and join in the middle, likewise press and lift two opposite vertical edges and join in the middle.
- Press and lift three different edges and join them in the center to for a triangle
- Take two circles, one little bigger than the other one. Place the stuffing in the middle of the small circle, apply little water on the edges and place the bigger circle on top. Press the edges and fold inside to seal it.
- There are many ways, just google it or be creative and try your own style.