Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
- Rice: 1 cup
- Water: As required
- Ghee or Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized, chopped into small pieces
- Spinach / Palak: 2 Cups, Chopped
- Ginger: Finely chopped, crushed or paste, ½ Teaspoon
- Garlic: Finely chopped, crushed or paste, ½ Teaspoon
- Green chili: Finely chopped, crushed or paste, ½ Teaspoon
- Curry Leaves: 4-5
- Cumin Seeds: 1 Teaspoon
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi): ½ Teaspoon
- Red Chili Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: Chopped, 1 Tablespoon
- Rinse rice 2-3 times in fresh water. Soak it in water for 10 minutes. Boil 5-6 cups of water in a big pot. Drain the rice and add in the boiled water. Cover the rice and let it steamed or cooked without stirring. Once rice is 80% cooked, turn off the heat, drain the excess water using a sieve. Put the rice in the same pot or a smaller pot, cover it and keep aside.
- Heat ½ tablespoon oil/ghee in a pan.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic and curry leaves.
- Sauté till onions are light brown.
- Add spinach and green chili.
- Stir and mix all well. Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until spinach is cooked well.
- Turn of the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Blend it to smooth puree.
- Heat ½ tablespoon ghee/oil again in the same pan.
- Add cumin seeds and after 30 seconds, add turmeric powder. Stir and add the spinach puree, cooked rice, salt, red chili powder and garam masala powder. Mix well.
- Cover the pan and cook for 3 minutes or till rice absorbs the spinach puree.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add fresh coriander leaves and serve hot