Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- Grated or chopped coconut: ¾ cup
- Ginger: 1-inch piece, chopped
- Green chili: 1 teaspoon, chopped
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander seeds: 1 teaspoon
- Oil: 2 Teaspoon
- Mustard seeds: ½ teaspoon
- Red dried chili: 2
- Curry leaves: 4-5
- Beetroot: 2, medium sized
- Water: 1 Cup
- Salt: 1 teaspoon or to taste
- Plain curd / yogurt: ½ cup
- Peel beetroots and grate them.
- Boil 1 cup of water in a pan.
- Once water starts to boil, add the grated beetroot and salt. Medium the heat and cover for 8-10 minutes or till beetroot is cooked and the raw smell goes off.
- Grind coconut, ginger, green chili, cumin seeds and coriander seeds using little water to a smooth paste.
- Add this paste to the beetroot and cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and transfer this to a bowl. Let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Whisk curd in a separate bowl.
- When the beetroot mix cools down, add the whisked curd and mix well. If beetroot mix is hot while adding curd, then curd will curdle more and leave water. So, make sure the mix is cooled enough to add curd.
- Now for tempering, heat oil in a small pan. Add mustard seeds, when it splutters, add curry leaves and dried red chili. Saute for 30 seconds.
- Add this tempering on top of the beetroot mix.
- Mix well and serve with rice, chapati, idli or dosa.