Prep Time: 5-6 hours
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes
- Quinoa Rice: 1 cup
- Red Kidney Beans or Black Beans: ¾ Cup
- Water: 3 Cups or as required
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Green Bell Pepper: 1 small sized, finely chopped
- Onion: 1 medium size onion, finely chopped
- Tomato: 1 medium size tomato, finely chopped
- Ginger: ½ Teaspoon, finely chopped
- Garlic: 1 Teaspoon, finely chopped
- Green chili: ½ Teaspoon, finely chopped
- Lemon juice: 1 tablespoon
- Salt: 1 ½ Teaspoon or to taste
- Black Pepper Powder: 1 Teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves: 1 Tablespoon, chopped
- Soak the beans in water for 5-6 hours or overnight.
- Drain water from the soaked beans and transfer beans to a pressure cooker. Add 3 cups of water and 1 teaspoon salt. Close the lid and cook till 3 cooker whistles in high heat.
- Turn off the heat. Wait for 5 minutes or till the hot air goes off the pressure cooker. Then open the lid and separate the cooked beans and water. Do not drain the water. We will use this water to cook quinoa. You may use 2 cups of vegetable broth instead of this beans’ water to cook quinoa.
- In a pot, add the beans’ water and let it boil. Once it starts to boil, add the quinoa rice. Lower the heat and cover it for 12-15 minutes or till quinoa rice is done. Make sure you do not overcook the rice.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add chopped onion, bell pepper, ginger and garlic. Sauté for 3 minutes or till onions are light brown.
- Add tomatoes, green chili, black pepper powder and ½ teaspoon of salt. Saute for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked beans and quinoa rice. Mix gently. Cover the pan and let it cook for 4-5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Add lemon juice and coriander leaves. Mix well.
- Serve immediately.
- While serving quinoa rice, you may add little grated cheese or powdered parmesan cheese.
- You may add chopped vegetables of your choice while cooking the beans.