Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutes
For the kofta balls:
- Lauki (bottle gourd): Grated, 2 Cup
- Gram Flour (besan): 2 Cup
- Water: ¼ Cup or as required
- Salt: 1 Teaspoon or to taste
- Black pepper powder: ½ Teaspoon
- Carom seeds (Ajwain): ½ Teaspoon
- Coriander seeds (Gota dhania): ½ Teaspoon
- Asafoetida (Hing): 1 pinch
- Oil: For deep fry
For the Gravy:
- Oil: 1 Tablespoon
- Onion: 1 medium sized, finely chopped
- Ginger: 1 Teaspoon, finely chopped
- Garlic: 1 Teaspoon, finely chopped
- Tomato: 2 medium sized, finely chopped
- Green chili: 1 teaspoon, chopped
- Cashew nut: 10-12
- Poppy Seeds (khasakhas): 1 Tablespoon
- Cumin seeds: ½ Teaspoon
- Salt: ½ Teaspoon or to taste
- Turmeric: ¼ Teaspoon or to taste
- Red chili powder: ¼ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder: ¼ Teaspoon
- Fresh milk cream: 2 Tablespoon
- Water: 2 Cup or as required
- Coriander leaves: 1 tablespoon
- Peel the lauki, cut into 4 pieces and grate them. Transfer to a bowl. Add salt and leave for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze out the water of the grated lauki and keep aside.
- Add besan, hing, carom seeds, coriander seeds, black pepper powder in the grated lauki. Mix well. Using the lauki water knead a very smooth dough. If required use water to knead the dough.
- Heat oil for deep fry.
- Divide the dough into 15-16 lemon size small portions and roll into balls.
- Deep fry the koftas balls flipping all around until golden in medium heat.
- Take out the fried koftas on a kitchen napkin and keep aside.
- In a small bowl soak 1 tablespoon poppy seeds in 1/4 cup of water.
- Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil in another pan.
- Fry the cashews and take out. Soak them with poppy seeds in the same bowl.
- Add onion, ginger, garlic to the oil and roast for 3 minutes.
- Add tomato and green chili and roast for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the saute masala to a blender. add the poppy seeds and cashwes with the soaked water in the same blender. Blend to a smooth paste and keep aside.
- Heat ½ Tablespoon oil in the pan again. Add cumin seeds. When it changes color, add the blended puree.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder, garam masala powder, and milk cream. Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add water and let it boil.
- Once it starts to boil, add the fried kofta. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Add coriander leaves and serve.
- The kofta balls absorbs the gravy very quick and the gravy becomes less. So Add the koftas just before serving and heat it for 2 minutes.
- Instead of Poppy Seeds (khasakhas), you may use sesame seeds as well.