Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 16 pakoras
- Spinach: 2 cups, shredded or thinly chopped
- Water: As required
- Gram Flour (Besan): 1 cup
- Semolina (Sooji / Rava): 1 Tablespoon (Optional)
- Salt: 1½ Teaspoon or to taste
- Carom Seeds (Ajwain): 1/2 Teaspoon
- Green chili: 2, finely chopped or crushed
- Ginger: 1 teaspoon, finely chopped, crushed or paste.
- Oil: As required for deep frying
- Black Salt or chat masala: 1 pinch
- Chop the Spinach into thin pieces.
- Wash the spinach and drain all the water. Transfer the chopped spinach to a bowl.
- Add besan, semolina, salt, carom seeds, ginger and chili to the Spinach. Mix well. Add water to make a smooth dough, enough to make balls. Use very little water at a time.
- Divide the dough into 16 equal portions.
- Heat oil in a pan. Deep fry the pakoras in medium flame. flipping all around until crispy.
- Once fried, take them out, drain excess oil and put on a kitchen napkin.
- Sprinkle little black salt or chat masala all over the prepared pakoras.
- If you leave the dough for some time, it becomes watery due to water coming out from the Spinach. In this case, add a boiled and mashed potato or add besan to adjust the thickness. You may leave the dough in freeze for 10 minutes before making balls from the dough. It tightens the dough and helps to give proper shape.